Scope and Content
From the Collection:
Records of the President's Office; primarily the records of the administrations of Presidents Caroline Hazard (1899-1911), Ellen F. Pendleton (1911-1936), Mildred McAfee Horton (1936-1949), and Margaret Clapp (1949-1966); dating 1886, 1888, 1898 to 1969; received from the President's Office storage room with some later files, divided where possible at the end of Miss Clapp's term of office; consisting of correspondence, reports, statistics, minutes, constitutions and by-laws, invitations; arranged alphabetically by subject; concerning Academic Council and its committees, academic departments, buildings and grounds, admission policies, relations with the Alumnae Association, administration, Seven College Conference (and its predecessor the Five College Conference), commencements, convocations, conferences, faculty salaries, awards, sabbaticals and housing, foundation support and named funds, honorary degrees, pensions and insurance plans, students and student organizations, statistics, summer theatre, town of Wellesley, activities in World Wars I and II; including material on the Mayling Soong Foundation and Madame Chiang Kai-shek, International Institute for Girls in Spain, Lake Waban Laundry, Page Memorial School, Catalyst, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Council for Financial Aid to Education, Wellesley Index to Victorian Periodicals, Overseas Education Fund Leadership Institute, St. John's of Sante Fe, Woods Hole Laboratory, and Yenching University. Additional material on the administrations of these women may be found in the ALS file.
The following types of materials are restricted:
1. Student records generated and maintained by the college are covered by FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act): grades, work, faculty/class evaluations, questionnaires, recommendations, et cetera.
2. Minutes and other records of the Board of Trustees. Access to this material is granted only through the Trustees. Requests for access should be directed to the Clerk of the Board of Trustees.
3. Information relating to specific salaries, pensions or financial transactions between the College and individual employees.
4. Materials relating to reappointment, promotion and tenure.
5. Recommendations and performance evaluation of individual employees, as well as evaluations of candidates for College positions.
6. Materials published by consortia of colleges and universities, specifically the Consortium on Financing Higher Education (COFHE) and the Higher Education Data Sharing (HEDS), which conduct surveys of various institutes promising confidentiality.