Botanic Gardens records
Scope and Content
This collection contains the administrative records, general correspondence, and plans and construction records relating to the Margaret C. Ferguson Greenhouses, the Alexandra Botanic Gardens, and the H.H. Hunnewell Arboretum.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. To make an appointment to view materials, please contact the Archives staff by email at email@example.com or by phone at (781) 283-3745.
Conditions Governing Use
The Wellesley College Archives welcomes researchers to use materials in the public domain, to make fair use of copyrighted materials as defined by copyright law, and to request permission to use works whose copyright is held by Wellesley College. All materials from the Archives, regardless of copyright status, should be attributed to the Wellesley College Archives, Library and Technology Services when cited, quoted, or reproduced.
The Wellesley College Botanic Gardens (WCBC) consist of the Alexandra Botanic Garden, the H.H. Hunnewell Arboretum, and the Margaret C. Ferguson Greenhouses. In 1906, Cordenio and Mary Severance (class of 1885) donated funds to establish the Alexandra Botanic Garden, named after their daughter who died at age 6. Isabella Hunnewell Shaw donated money in memory of her father, Horatio Hollis Hunnewell, to help fund the Hunnewell Arboretum. The Margaret C. Ferguson Greenhouses were named after the prominent Botany professor at Wellesley in 1946.
1.25 Linear Feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
The papers were transferred to the archives by Prof. Harriet Creighton, the Science Center Office, and Professor Steve Schiavo of the Science Center Steering Committee.
- Wellesley College. Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens records, 1907-2003: a guide
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description