Skip to main content

Food Service Administration records

 Collection
Identifier: 9F-Food Services

Scope and Contents

Collection consists of the records of the Food Service Administration (previously called the Food Services Department) at Wellesley College, dating from 1954-2003. Includes schedules and instructions for student workers in dining halls, lists of staff members, holiday dinner schedules, dietitians’ schedules, communications from the Director of Food Services (later called the Director of Dining Services), a 1986 college-wide letter about food service management, menus from 1974-1995, pamphlets, including for a “Culinary Credit” program. Of note is a 1993 edition of the Food Services newsletter, “Pompadour Press.”

Dates

  • 1954-2003

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research, but contains some material which has been restricted as per the Wellesley College Archives Access Policy: https://www.wellesley.edu/lts/policies/archivesaccess. To make an appointment to view unrestricted materials, please contact the Archives staff by email at archives@wellesley.edu or by phone at (781) 283-3745.

Conditions Governing Use

The Wellesley College Archives welcomes researchers to use materials in the public domain, to make fair use of copyrighted materials as defined by copyright law, and to request permission to use works whose copyright is held by Wellesley College. All materials from the Archives, regardless of copyright status, should be attributed to the Wellesley College Archives, Library and Technology Services when cited, quoted, or reproduced.

Biographical / Historical

As of 1916, Wellesley College did not have a dietitian. (1) As of 1939, the college had employed two College Dietitians, Constance Covey and Bertha Hill. (2) In 1952, the Purveyor Florence I. Tucker (responsible for selecting food to purchase since at latest 1928) retired from her position, and the Executive Dietitian Maerice E. Capen assumed this responsibility. The Dietitian also directed all kitchens, the student dining halls, and food service for the infirmary. (3) As of 1964, an official position of Director of Food Service was created, and filled by Elizabeth Cornwall. (4) As of 1967, there were six dietitians responsible for selecting menus each week, and nearly 200 food service employees in total. During this period there were still sit down dinners held, and a set menu. (5) In the 1973-1974 school year, the Food Services Department ran a large deficit of $200,000, and consultants were brought in to make operational changes; Shafer’s dining hall closed, and Claflin’s dining hall was converted into a bakery. Weekend meals were no longer offered at Stone/Davis, Munger, nor Beebe. To cushion these cutbacks, the Food Services Department made changes in line with student requests, and began offering a choice of two entrees at lunch and dinner, longer open hours, and a weekday continental breakfast. (6) The Department of Food Service underwent a name change to the Food Service Administration as of 2010 (at the latest).

[(1) “Citizenship and Co-Operation.” Wellesley News. April 20, 1916. (2) “Miss McAfee To Christen "The Well.”” Wellesley News. October 5, 1939. (3) President’s Report of 1954 (4) “Bulletin of Wellesley College Catalogue Number 1964-1965 (5) “Behind Kitchen Doors.” Wellesley News. September 28, 1967. (6) Draper, Margaret. “New food services system offers greater advantages.” Wellesley News. October 11, 1974.]

Extent

3.2 Linear Feet (1 half-document box, 3 cartons)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Collection is arranged in original order.
Title
Wellesley College. Food Service Administration. Food Service Administration records, 1954-2003: a guide
Status
In Progress
Author
Natalia Gutiérrez-Jones, Project Archivist
Date
2019 September
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Wellesley College Archives Repository

Contact:

781-283-3745