Scope and Contents
Collection consists of records of the Alumnae Association by class year, dating from 1886-2002. Collection is arranged in two series. Series I. Correspondence and reunion records by class year (1886-2002) consists of class correspondence as alumnae, and reunion records; series also includes some records of fundraising efforts and alumnae activities. Class of 1911 and 1913 files include the Class Constitutions, and the Class of 1912 files include class newsletters. Series II. Class Officers' records and general documentation (1949-1983) consists of general files (not by class year) relating to reunions, class constitutions, and a calendar (1983), and Class Officers' records including correspondence and Record Cards on alumnae.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research, but contains some material which has been restricted as per the Wellesley College Archives Access Policy: https://www.wellesley.edu/lts/policies/archivesaccess. To make an appointment to view unrestricted materials, please contact the Archives staff by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (781) 283-3745.
Conditions Governing Use
The Wellesley College Archives welcomes researchers to use materials in the public domain, to make fair use of copyrighted materials as defined by copyright law, and to request permission to use works whose copyright is held by Wellesley College. All materials from the Archives, regardless of copyright status, should be attributed to the Wellesley College Archives, Library and Technology Services when cited, quoted, or reproduced.
Biographical / Historical
The Wellesley College Alumnae Association was formed on June 23, 1880, after the College’s second Commencement ceremony. The alumnae of the first two classes adopted a Constitution that had been drafted by the Class of 1879 and (with slight revisions) was unanimously approved by the Class of 1880. The first Alumnae Dinner was held on June 27, 1881 off campus. An on-campus annual meeting of alumnae began taking place in 1885. A new more comprehensive Constitution was adopted in 1886. In 1891, the Alumnae Association voted to have a committee of five represent them in discussion with the Board of Trustees. In 1893 initial qualifications (graduates of seven years who were not on faculty) were established for the position of Alumnae Trustee, and in June 1894 the first three Alumnae Trustees were elected to the Board of Trustees. Their representation was increased to four members in 1946, and to five in 1971, along with designating the Association President an automatic member of the Board. In 1911 a Graduate Council (later called the Alumnae Council) was established to be responsible for alumnae communication with the College administration, to consult on issues important to alumnae and undergraduates. This Council held bi-annual meetings which were reported out to the Alumnae Association. In June 1922 this Council was incorporated into the Alumnae Association and named the Alumnae Council.
[Information from: Glasscock, Jean, and Katharine Canby Balderston. Wellesley College, 1875-1975: a Century of Women. Wellesley College, 1975. Pages 439-449.]
12.4 Linear Feet (12 record cartons, 1 box)
Language of Materials