Scope and Contents
Collection consists of the records of La Tertulia (formerly the Círculo Castellano) dating from 1909 to 1970. Includes records of the organization's founding, correspondence, event materials, membership lists, multiple versions of the organization's constitution, three Secretary's notebooks with meeting minutes and accounts of activities, the Treasurer's reports and ledgers, and a file on the tutorial program La Oportunidad.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. To make an appointment to view materials, please contact the Archives staff by email at email@example.com or by phone at (781) 283-3745.
Conditions Governing Use
The Wellesley College Archives welcomes researchers to use materials in the public domain, to make fair use of copyrighted materials as defined by copyright law, and to request permission to use works whose copyright is held by Wellesley College. All materials from the Archives, regardless of copyright status, should be attributed to the Wellesley College Archives, Library and Technology Services when cited, quoted, or reproduced.
Biographical / Historical
The 1909 April 21 edition of The Wellesley News (p. 3) announces the formation of the organization, first called Círculo Castellano: "As an outgrowth of the enthusiasm for Spanish interests which Señorita [Carolina] Marcial [Instructor in Spanish] has awakened in the students of the Spanish Department, the Círculo Castellano was organized on March 30 with the following officers: President, Elizabeth Conant. Vice-president-treasurer, Florence Baldwin. Secretary, Anne Brinton. Señorita Marcial, Mabel Decker,and Helen Frazier were elected to the Executive Committee." The organization presented plays, hosted lectures, and held cultural and social events. Circa 1959, the organization changed its name to La Tertulia.
0.4 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials