Skip to main content

WZLY Radio Station records

 Collection
Identifier: 6S-WZLY

Scope and Contents

Collection consists of the records of the Wellesley College radio WZLY (previously called WBS, Wellesley Broadcasting Station. until 1976), dating from 1952-1983. Includes administrative records such as Treasurer's Reports, WZLY Station Rules and Programing Guidlines, a Training Program for new staff, the Chief Engineer's notebook, the Business Manager and Financial Manager's records, and reports of maintenance and equipment trouble; promotional communications such as program guides, event posters and notices; and internal communications written by various authors in copies of 'Comment Notebooks' (most titled 'Matilda') that were kept in the station lounge.

Dates

  • 1952-1983

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. To make an appointment to view materials, please contact the Archives staff by email at archives@wellesley.edu or by phone at (781) 283-3745.

Conditions Governing Use

The Wellesley College Archives welcomes researchers to use materials in the public domain, to make fair use of copyrighted materials as defined by copyright law, and to request permission to use works whose copyright is held by Wellesley College. All materials from the Archives, regardless of copyright status, should be attributed to the Wellesley College Archives, Library and Technology Services when cited, quoted, or reproduced.

Biographical / Historical

Wellesley College's radio station was originally founded in April 1942 as WBS (Wellesley Broadcasting Station) first on 730 AM and later on 640 AM, and was the oldest independent women's college radio station in the United States. The station expanded to become WZLY (the call sign for "Wellesley") on 91.5 FM, in February-March of 1976. At that time in 1976, the station's reception expanded from just the college campus into Natick and the town of Wellesley due to a transmitter and antennae that were installed in Galen Stone Tower (of Green Hall). A WZLY Board of Directors was established circa May 1976 (5 students, 2 faculty, 3 admin staff, 1 "community liason" who couldn't vote). The station's broadcast signal range was increased again to 10 miles as of 1981 when a 60 foot antennae was added to Gelen Stone Tower. In 1982, WZLY hosted a local talk show (Tuesdays at 6 PM, called "Town Talk), hosted by the editor of the Wellesley Townsman (a local newspaper). In October, 2014, WZLY intended to sell its frequency license and move entirely to the internet at website WZLY.net. However, it did not sell in the following years and WZLY members voted to retain the broadcasting license in Spring, 2019.

Extent

0.6 Linear Feet (2 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

6C Classes collections are artificial collections. Artificial collections are created by Archivists bringing together multiple smaller acquisitions to the archives from multiple creators, and organizing them based on their subject. This is unlike most archival collections which are organized by provenance, meaning by the original creator, and which maintain the original creator’s arrangement of the collection. Given that 6C Classes collections include contents from multiple creators, Archives staff have imposed criteria for when files from one individual should be grouped into its own series (a sub-grouping within the collection that gives supplementary description about the creator): series are established when there are ten or more files from one creator present in a collection.
Title
Wellesley College. WZLY. WZLY Radio Station records, 1952-1983: a container list.
Author
Natalia Gutiérrez-Jones, Project Archivist
Date
2021 April
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Wellesley College Archives Repository

Contact:

781-283-3745